SEASONS

"Focus on your Waec and make A's, and you will be able to go to university this year"

My mum made this statement  during one of our visiting days in my final class in secondary school.

I was so excited about this, and I told friends who stood by me when Jamb slammed me. The joy that I was not going to spend a whole year at home doing nothing was one I could not contain. So not like I was rejoicing because I was going to a private university(yes only a private university could admit me with my score and give me the course of my choice) but because I was not going stay a whole year at home.

The internet became my companion, I searched about private universities in Nigeria that had my course and their school fees. I finally decided to go with one of the best and which was the University I had picked as my second choice.
I dreamt everyday about how university was going to look like(LOL they never told us it was this tough) but this excitement was short lived, not because anything evil happened but God had his own plans lined up.

After my Final exams and graduation, plans changed. My parents, looking at their financial capacity at that time thought it would be unwise to take such a decision. As much as they would havwanted me to go to school that year, they didn't want to go beyond their means.

Then my parents advised that I go for pre degree at Obafemi Awolowo University Center For Distance Learning (OAUCDL). I wasn't satisfied with this and I wished everyday that my dream of going to the university that year come to fulfillment.

All these act of wishing was not going to make things better only a realization of my season did.

Reluctantly I agreed to go for the pre Degree programme.
At this point of my life I wasn't even proud of what I was doing. Most people thought I was in the university already and I never bothered to correct them. I just kept mute.

The Pre Degree journey started. I knew I needed to accept reality and make the best out of this unfavourable condition. My journey to "Ife" was more or less like a journey to a wonder land. Prior to this time, I had only been to "Ife" once and that was in my JSS 3 for an excursion. I could barely remember anything about the city.

In this same space of one year, I had to write three major exams which were all going to decide if I was going to enter the university the next year.

Yes I've passed that phase of my life. I got admission after my Pre degree but that did not signal the end of the challenges. The rigour did not reduce I only gained more strength. I was learning how to trust solely in God even if the odds were not in my favour at that point.

This season of my life taught me contentment not with the status quo as it were, but to adapt to whatever season of life I found myself and of course with the assurance that great days are ahead.

I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
Philippians 4:12-‬13 MSG

So this is not to say that we should not desire or pray for better days, but to say that even in trying seasons, we should trust and hold on to God and also importantly, pick lessons from that not so palatable season of our life. The lessons will be useful for the next level. The lessons Joseph picked from his trying season helped him in the greater assignment God had for him.

Your trying season might have to with your academics, it might have to do with your career, it might have to do with your finance, a Job, or a failed relationship.

While we want to get out of that trying season of our life, what lessons are we picking from it?
Remember, before gold becomes real gold it has to pass through fire.

     " In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.”
John 16:33 MSG

Surely, great days are ahead!
Have a blessed week!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts